This is an island platform station. The station features street level entry, which formerly had a booking office. The island platform building (similar to those at Dumbarton Central) no longer exists but a waiting shelter is provided.
A branch to Dumbarton East Goods ran off to the west from Dumbarton Goods Junction formerly on the west side of the station, also serving Dumbarton Shed.
The station's signal box was on the south side of Glasgow Road, on the west side of the line. This was named Dumbarton Goods Junction and opened with the line.
To the north west the line joined the former Caledonian and Dumbartonshire Junction Railway at Dumbarton East Junction. To the south was the branch to Leven Shipbuilding Yard.
Resignalling, before the line was electrified, closed the box in 1960 when the new Dumbarton Central power box opened.
Dumbarton East is closer to Dumbarton Castle than Dumbarton Central is.
The Denny Tank Museum is west of the station, at the east end of the Dumbarton town centre. Dumbarton Central is marginally closer.
| Dumbarton Shed|
Dumbarton East Junction
Dumbarton East Goods
Leven Shipbuilding Yard
Blackburn Aircraft Factory
Babcock and Wilcox
Dumbarton Joint Goods
Leven Shipyard Junction
Dumbarton Tram Depot [Tram]
Denny Tank Museum
Ballantyne Dumbarton Grain Distillery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/10/1896||Lanarkshire and Dumbartonshire Railway|
Line opened to passengers - Possil to Clydebank [CR] and Partick North Junction to Partick East Junction. Dumbarton East, Bowling [CR], Old Kilpatrick, Dalmuir [CR], Kilbowie Road, Clydebank [CR], Yoker [CR], Scotstoun [1st], Victoria Park, Whiteinch [CR], Partick West, Crow Road, Partick Central stations opened.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)