Eastfield Shed (1904-1973)
Eastfield MPD (1973-1993)
Eastfield TMD (2005-)
Eastfield Shed did not date from the opening of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. It replaced Cowlairs Shed, which closed, located north of the Cowlairs Works.
The new shed was built after the opening of both the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Railway and the Hamiltonhill Branch. It opened in September 1904. Opening must have been planned when the Hamiltonhill line opened as it crossed the then vacant site on a long viaduct.
The shed was approached from the south and was double ended. The offices building had a clocktower.
Eastfield was assigned code 65D by British Railways. It had sub sheds at Aberfoyle Shed, Helensburgh Shed, Kilsyth Shed, Kipps Shed, Lennoxtown Shed, Motherwell Shed, Parkhead Shed and Polmadie Shed.
After the end of steam the shed continued to cater for diesels. It closed around 1993 and was demolished and the track was lifted in 1994.
A new DMU depot opened on the site in 2005, partly due to overcrowding at Haymarket Depot.
Possilpark and Parkhouse
St Rollox [1st]
St Georges Cross [Subway]
Other railway and industry locations
Cowlairs East Junction
Cowlairs North Junction
Cowlairs West Junction
Cowlairs Carriage Sidings
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|