Wishaw South Junction

Location type

Junction


Name and dates

Wishaw South Junction (1901-1923)

Opened on the Wishaw, Cambusnethan and Coltness Line (Caledonian Railway).

Opened on the Wishaw Deviation (Caledonian Railway).


Description

This was a double track junction south of Wishaw station. It opened with the 1901 Wishaw, Cambusnethan and Coltness Line (Caledonian Railway).

The signal box opened in 1897, this was located on the north/east side of the junction.

This was a short lived line, although the western portion from Wishaw to Shieldmuir Junction remains in use today. The eastern portion was out of use in 1918 and formally closed in 1923.

The box remained open until 1950 when it was taken over by the Wishaw North Junction box.

Wishaw station remains open. The Cambusnethan route can be traced as far as Stewarton Street but is very overgrown.


Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map