This tramway opened in 1889 between Carstairs station and Carstairs House (now Menteith House). It was an electric tramway. By 1896 it was horse operated and it closed in 1925. In addition to the link to the passenger station a siding ran to the down yard, west of the station.
These locations are along the line.
This is an island platform station on the western junction of the triangular junction at Carstairs. There is a modern station building on the platform which is approached by a footbridge over the Glasgow bound lines.