Inverclyde as seen on an OS One Inch map of 1925. One of Scotland's several Ravenscraigs had a station serving two hospitals. The station closed in 1944, but the hospitals are still there. They are now served by Branchton station which opened (unfashionably) in 1967, by which time Greenock was marching westwards and Ravenscraig was no longer isolated. Further west, Spango was where the IBM plant was later to be built though we had to wait for the computer to be invented first. Also of note is the seaplane station at James Watt Dock. Greenock West is incorrectly shown as being closed: forgetting to 'fill in' stations with red seemed to be a recurring problem of the time. Crown copyright 1925.
Photographer: David Panton
Contact photographer: David Panton
Image number: 33200Tags: Map