Remains of the island platform at Broughton looking west in March 2003. Opened in 1860, Broughton had become a 3-platform junction station in 1896 following an agreement with the Edinburgh and District Water Trust. This agreement provided a link to the Talla Railway running south to Victoria Lodge in connection with the construction of Talla reservoir. The Talla Railway was abandoned following the opening of the reservoir in 1905, although Broughton station continued in use until withdrawal of passenger services over the former SB&B in 1950. The line between broughton and the WCML at Symington survived as a freight-only route until 1966.
Location: Broughton [2nd]
Photographer: Colin Miller
Contact photographer: Colin Miller
Image number: 33364