The solum of the Fort Augustus branch high above Loch Lochy in Summer 1966. The weekly coal train, which continued after passenger closure in 1933, survived until 1947 and the line was lifted in the 1950s. Had attempts to push the branch on through the Great Glen to Inverness not been blocked in Parliament by the Highland Railway, then this route might well have survived as one of Scotland's great scenic railways.
Location: Altrua Viaduct
Company: Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway
Photographer: Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven)
Contact photographer: Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven)
Image number: 42423