Ravenscraig

A Wemyss Bay - Glasgow train passing the remains of Ravenscraig station, south west of Greenock, in February 1966. The station, opened in 1865, once served the former Smithston poor-house and asylum. During WWII, it became the British headquarters of the Royal Canadian Navy and carried the name HMCS Niobe. The station was closed in February 1944. [With thanks to Messrs Leiper, McTaggart, Dunbar, Robin, Baillie, Jamieson & McIntosh]

Location: Ravenscraig

Company: Greenock and Wemyss Bay Railway

Photographer: Colin Miller

Contact photographer: Colin Miller

Contact editor

Date: 02/1966

Image number: 43930


Other photographs of Ravenscraig on RailScot