The Glasgow and South Western Railway's Barrhead Branch from Paisley passed under the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Direct Railway below this bridge, just east of today's Barrhead station. In this view Barrhead station is to the right and Glasgow is to the left. The Shanks Works was behind the camera on either side of the closed line.
The Barrhead Branch met a spur off the Direct line just beyond this bridge on the approach to the Barrhead Central terminus.
The line from Paisley West was extended to Barrhead in a series of steps: Potterhill (1886), Gleniffer Goods (1899), Barrhead (1902). Barrhead Central closed in 1916, the Paisley-Barrhead traffic having been killed off by tram and bus competition. Closure to goods was in 1917, but the curve to the station from the Direct line remained until the 1950s. Of course the Caledonian's Paisley-Barrhead-Lyoncross line also fared badly never having opened to passengers.
Location: Barrhead Central
Photographer: Ewan Crawford
Contact photographer: Ewan Crawford
Image number: 54366