Station remains at Broughton on the former Caledonian Symington - Peebles route, seen here in December 2011. The surviving structure is part of the island platform, built in 1896, some 66 years after the station opened. The new platform was built to accommodate traffic using the private Talla Railway, which conveyed workers and materials to a large new reservoir construction site 8 miles to the south. The Talla Railway operated from 1896 until completion of the reservoir in 1905. Broughton station itself closed in 1950, with the last operational section of the line, west to Symington, used for freight until 1966.
Location: Broughton [2nd]
Photographer: John Furnevel
Contact photographer: John Furnevel
Image number: 71221