The former Ashey station seen from a UK Railtours' chartered return train from Wootton to Smallbrook Junction on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, on 20th September 2014. This station opened with the Ryde to Newport line on 20th December 1875 and closed when passenger services on the line and up to Cowes on the original Cowes & Newport Railway of 1862, the first line on the island, were withdrawn as part of the Beeching cuts on 21st February 1966. The IOSWR runs along part of the Ryde & Newport line and on which services were extended from Haven Street to a new station at Smallbrook Junction on 20th July 1991. Ashey station was not reopened at first but on 2nd May 1993 a new platform, which can just be seen on the right in front of the train,, was opened as a request stop. The original 1875 station, seen here on the left, is now a private residence.
Company: Ryde and Newport Railway
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Image number: 72556