A quiet period inside Kent station in Cork, opened in 1893 as Glanmire Road and renamed in 1966 after Thomas Kent, who was executed by the British in Cork after the Easter Uprising in 1916. These are the mainline platforms for trains to Mallow and Dublin. There is no through working to Cobh and Midleton (as far as the Youghal line runs these days) and the platforms for those services are at the east end of the station. However, through running is needed to allow trains to reach the loco shed and carriage sidings at the east end of the station. There is a line which also by-passes the outer wall of the station which is also used for empty stock movements. It was formerly also used for freight but there are no scheduled freight services currently operating to Cork. Kent is also the only one of Cork's six stations still operational and the only one which actually linked up with other systems, which was a considerable problem for integrated rail transport in the Cork area! 5th May 2019.
Location: Cork Kent
Company: Great Southern and Western Railway
Photographer: Mark Poustie
Contact photographer: Mark Poustie
Image number: 72854