Shortly after the diversion in January 1981 of the Kentish Town to Barking service, from Kentish Town to Gospel Oak along a line that had been freight only since 1925, a train from Gospel Oak to Barking heads east past the site of Hornsey Road station, in April 1981. This closed as a WWII economy on 3rd May 1943, as did Junction Road on the same line. Another, further east at St. Anns Road near South Tottenham, had closed on 9th August 1942, for the same reason but the three stations never reopened after 1945. The GOBLIN, as the line became nicknamed from 1981 by the initials of the two termini stations, was taken over by TfL and became part of the London Overground network in 2007 but remained diesel-worked until belatedly electrified in 2019.
Location: Hornsey Road
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Image number: 76306