The original colliery, owned by J and TL Galloway, closed around 1929 but a new colliery was sunk by the Glasgow Iron and Steel Company alongside in 1946, opened by 1950. Pithead baths opened in 1953. The new colliery used road transport as the railway closed in 1931.
The colliery and area was originally served by a canal from 1794 to 1856. It was later served by railway, opened from Kilkivan Pit to Campbeltown in 1887. It was extended west to Argyll Colliery in 1881 on closure of Kilkivan.
This line later became the Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway, opened to passengers in 1906 with extensions to stations at either end and halts along the route.
| Limecraigs Junction|
Campbeltown New Quay
Torr a^Chaisteal Dun
Moss Farm Road Stone Circle
Machrie Moor Standing Stones
Carn Ban Chambered Cairn
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Campbeltown 1898: Argyllshire Sheet 257.08 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Argyllshire)