Cathcart [1st] (1886-1894)
Opened on the Cathcart District Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the terminus of the Cathcart District Railway from opening in 1886 to its extension in 1894. The site was to the immediate east of the present Cathcart station. The station was built around half a mile north of historic Cathcart at a site which was then rural and now urban. A signal box opened with the terminus and closed with the extension of the line. A replacement opened on the west side of the extension railway parallel to the north end of the former terminus. (OS maps imply both boxes coexisted for some time.)This closed just ahead of the opening of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway in 1903. Cathcart North Junction box effectively replaced it.
Following closure it became entirely a goods yard. This yard was rebuilt around 1910 with alterations to the lengths of the sidings and the addition of a large loading bank. Later a goods shed was added.
Nothing remains today.
Other railway and industry locations
Cathcart West Junction
Cathcart Power Box
Cathcart East Junction
Cathcart North Junction
Aikenhead Colliery Nos 1 and 2
Pollokshaws East Goods
Mallsmire Firebrick Works
Govan Colliery Pit No 6
Govan Coal work
Hampden Park Stadium
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|