College [1st] (1870-1886)
Opened on the Glasgow and Coatbridge Branch (North British Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was the terminus of the line east to Airdrie.
The station was built on the site of the College of Glasgow (now the University of Glasgow ), giving rise to its name.
Before the station opened, nearby Gallowgate on the City of Glasgow Union Railway opened ahead of the rest of the line as a terminus for the route to Airdrie.
The original entrance to the station was via the college's former Fore Hall leading to the comment that this was the oldest station building in Glasgow. This building was re-located to University Avenue (dismantled around 1872, reassembled 1887) and is now called the Pearce Lodge. The Fore Hall's Lion and Unicorn staircase was also relocated to the the new university site. The college had been keen to relocate for some years, coming to an arrangement to relocate with a promoted railway in the late 1840s which ultimately failed.
The station site was located at what had been, prior to demolition, the outer and inner court and common hall. As opened to passengers in 1871, the station had no roof but the following year a 76ft by 150ft iron roof trainshed on cast iron columns was commissioned. The north side was open and the south side was bordered by offices. It was a large trainshed when opened but quickly eclipsed by later stations.
There was a small locomotive shed and turntable to the east of the site.
To the north of the station was the original North British Railway's goods station, also initially called College Goods (and later High Street Goods after substantial rebuilding).
A signal box, College Station, opened in 1874.
The passenger station gained further traffic in 1877 with the Glasgow, Bothwell, Hamilton and Coatbridge Railway. It closed to passengers in 1886 with the opening of the City of Glasgow Union Railway and its College [2nd] station. The new station was located just to the north in a dressed stone cutting, it remains open today. It was built between the goods (north) and passenger (south) stations. College Station signal box closed.
After replacement the station became a carriage shed and station offices became stables. The lines to the station remained segregated from the neighbouring College Goods just to the south. By the 1960s the station was a railway owned road vehicle depot. The building lasted until at least the late 1970s.
Glasgow Queen Street High Level
Glasgow Queen Street Low Level
Glasgow St Enoch
Buchanan Street [Subway]
St Enoch [Subway]
Glasgow Central Low Level
Other railway and industry locations
Bridgeton Central Junction
High Street Goods
St Johns Junction
College Goods Signal Box [GSWR]
High Street Tunnel
College North Junction
Barrack Street Tunnel
High Street Goods Signal Box
St Enoch Locomotive Depot
Barracks Mineral Yard
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|