Glasgow Museum of Transport [1st]

Location type

Place

Names and dates

Coplawhill Tram Depot (1894-1964)
Glasgow Museum of Transport [1st] (1964-1986)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Description

This tram depot was Glasgow^s main tram depot and works.

Initially for horse drawn trams it was expanded several times to become the main depot in Glasgow, particularly when electrification took place in the 1899 to 1901 period.

Following closure it became the Glasgow Museum of Transport in 1964 until 1986 when the museum re-located to the Kelvin Hall.

After an uncertain period it was redeveloped to become the Tramway Theatre, opening in 1988. It now sees broad uses as an arts venue.

Tags

Tram depot Museum

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
06/09/2020

Facilities

Listing: B