High Bridge

Location type

Name and dates

High Bridge (1735-1913)

Opened on the Tourist - Attractions.


This high two arch masonry viaduct carried one of General Wade's Military Roads over the River Spean, some 1.5 miles downstream of Spean Bridge. The bridge crosses a gorge.

Telford's new road and bridge opened in 1819, by which time the bridge was in poor condition. There were repairs in 1893 and a footbridge fitted across the top around 1894. The bridge collapsed in 1913 but the piers still stand. Some maintenance continues to protect it from further collapse but the remains never stray far from the 'at risk' register.




External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67