Location type


Names and dates

Windyhill (1871-1871)
Crosslee (1871-1874)
Houston (1874-1926)
Houston and Crosslee (1926-1973)
Houston (1973-1983)

Opened on the Bridge of Weir Railway.


This was a two platform station. The station went through a remarkable number of different names, an indication that while open it wasn^t close to any particular town or village. The station was by Windyhill Farm (its first name), Crosslee was around a mile and a half to the north (the second name), and Houston was about two miles north (the third name). The fourth name name was a compromise!

Today it might be called Brookfield, newer housing just to the south.

The station was probably built to not only serve the local area but the nearby Merchiston House and Craigends House of 1857.

The main station building was on the westbound platform and, alongside its west end, a footbridge.

There was a goods yard on the south side of the line, approached from the west and with a long headshunt.

The signal box, 1882, was at the west end and opposite the goods yard turn-out.

The box closed in 1947, replaced with a ground frame.

After 1966 the line was singled, the former eastbound line and platform being retained. This had previous had a pleasant timber waiting room but this was replaced by a small bus shelter.

Following closure the abandoned main station building, on the westbound platform, was rebuilt as a house and the trackbed became a footpath. As part of the conversion to a footpath the eastbound platform was obliterated. The house was unfortunately burned down in 2016.

The Darluth Waggonway ran nearby before the railway opened, just to the north.


Station footpath

External links

Canmore site record
NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67