This passing loop was high above the east bank of Loch Lochy, above Letterfinlay Lodge.
This crossing was never brought into use although signalling equipment was installed during construction in 1901. The passing place was designed to break the long single track section from Gairlochy to Invergarry.
The line opened in 1903 and finally closed to regular passengers in 1933. After use during the Second World War the line closed completely in 1946.
Today the trackbed has been eroded and, being on a steep slope, the width has reduced. The exact location of the signal box is difficult to determine on the ground. To the north of this location a fine footbridge remains over the trackbed.
Letterfinlay was the summit of the line. Today the trackbed forms a road and footpath.
Fort Augustus Pier
Fort William [1st]
| Altrua Viaduct|
Letterfinlay Lodge Hotel
Corriegour Lodge Hotel
Meall na Teanga
Sron a^ Choire Ghairbh
Brae Roy Lodge
Glen Turret House
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Forgotten Railways: Scotland