Montfode Fuel Depot Sidings (1943-1950)
Opened on the Largs Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway).
These sidings served a Second World War oil depot with partly buried oil storage tanks alongside the Largs branch in countryside not far to the north of Ardrossan. The oil was manufactured at the nearby Ardrossan Refinery and puimped to the site.
Sidings were laid out on the west side of the line, approached from the north. Five tanks were on the east side, north east of the sidings site with a further five tanks further away at Rashley.
Several surface buildings remain and much of the site is in agricultural use with a stables on the sidings site.
Ardrossan Montgomerie Pier
Ardrossan Winton Pier
Ardrossan South Beach
Other railway and industry locations
Montfode Oil Depot
Boydston Signal Box
Ardrossan North Shed
Ardrossan North Goods
Kirkland Glen Viaduct
Ardrossan Western Breakwater
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [2nd]
Ardrossan Shed [GSW] [1st]
Ardrossan Harbour Signal Box
Ardrossan Old Dock
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Gourock to Largs Coast Through Time
Largs 1895: Ayrshire Sheet 03.12 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Ayrshire)
Old West Kilbride