Seafield Yard [CR] (1903-1966)
Opened on the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway).
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This yard was laid out to the north of Leith South Yard at the end of the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway) branch. The yard consisted of two groups of marshalling sidings, a locomotive shed (Seafield Shed [CR]) and a connection to the Leith Harbour and Dock Commissioners Railway serving Leith Imperial Dock and the other docks.
It was possible to run through the docks to Leith North Goods also on the Caledonian Railway. (The North British Railway had connections at South Leith and North Leith).
The yard was laid out in 1903, not long after the Leith Imperial Dock opened in 1898. Approach was by the Seafield Viaduct over Seafield Road and the existing North British Railway lines of the South Leith branch and Leith South Yard.
After 1916 the Lothian Lines (North British Railway) also had an approach to the yard via a connection south of the Seafield Viaduct (Seafield Road Junction). This saw little use until after the Second World War.
British Railways closed the yard in 1966 as the Leith New Lines (Caledonian Railway) were cut back. These largely duplicated the North British Railway lines.
The site is now in other uses. Leith South Yard, very much cut back, remains but sees little use.
Easter Road Park Halt
Leith Walk [CR]
Other railway and industry locations
Seafield Shed [CR]
Leith South Yard
Leith South Turntable [NB]
Seafield Level Crossing
Seafield Road Junction
Leith Rope Works
Leith South Goods
Leith East Goods
Seafield Junction [CR]
Scottish Agricultural Industries
Leith Edinburgh Dock
Edinburgh and Leith Glass Works
Crawford^s Biscuit Factory
Albert Road Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|