Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Kirkcudbright Railway.
This was a single platform on a single track line. The station was in a rural location serving the surrounding farms. To the west are the High and Old bridges of Tarff crossing the Tarff Water. The station was named more for the Tarff Valley than a specific village or town. Gatehouse, for which it was named (or partly named) until 1871, is just under 7 miles west from the former station. (Gatehouse of Fleet station on the Portpatrick Raiwlay was about 6.5 miles north west of Gatehouse, so neither station was convenient.)
The platform was on the west side of the line. The station building was of two storeys.
The goods yard was on the east side, sidings and a stone built goods shed approached from the north.
The signal box, opened 1882, was north of the station on the west side.
The box closed in 1946, replaced with ground frames.
The station and line closed in 1965.
The station building still stands and agriculture society buildings occupy the site of the goods yard.
The buildings of the Tarff Valley Agricultural Co-operative Society occupy the goods yard. The co-op has been established at the station for a long time, long predating closure of the railway.
Bridge of Dee
Castle Douglas (St Andrews Street)
Gatehouse of Fleet
| Tongland Car Factory|
River Dee Viaduct [West]
River Dee Viaduct [East]
Castle Douglas Shed
The Stewartry Museum
Gatehouse of Fleet [Town]
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Tarff for Gatehouse re-named Gatehouse [Tarff]. Presumably the Glasgow and South Western Railway (who now owned the Kirkcudbright Railway) was competing with the Caledonian Railway operated Portpatrick Railway for Gatehouse of Fleet traffic - for which neither of the two stations were convenient.
The Port Road: Dumfries to Stranraer, Portpatrick, Kirkcudbright and Whithorn