This junction was on the short length of connecting line which allowed trains from the Waverley Route to approach Carlisle station from the north.
The connecting line (1860) ran from Canal Junction [Carlisle] to the west to Port Carlisle Branch Junction to the east. Willowholme Junction was mid way.
The purpose of the junction was to join the connecting line with the north end of the 1877 Carlisle Goods Loop (Carlisle Goods Traffic Committee).
The signal box, on the north side of the junction, opened with the junction. The box was 'Carlisle No 1'.
A short branch to Willowholme Power Station was opened to the north west in 1927.
The signal box closed in 1962 when the north end of the goods line was cut back to Port Carlisle Branch Junction. This was related to the opening of Kingmoor Marshalling Yard in 1963 and the concentration of goods handling there. The Waverley Route had a new goods connection to that yard and a wartime built line dating from 1942 connected from Kingmoor Junction / Etterby Junction to Port Carlisle Branch Junction.
The connecting line closed altogether in 1969 with the closure of the Waverley Route.
The location is now rough ground between a sewage works and industrial estate.
Port Carlisle Junction
Carlisle London Road
| Port Carlisle Branch Junction|
Willowholme Power Station
Eden Viaduct [Etterby]
Canal Junction [Carlisle]
Canal Goods [Carlisle]
Carr's Biscuits Factory
Carlisle Canal Shed
Dentonholme North Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|