Surviving dwelling houses in the railway village at Riccarton Junction in Spring 1966. In 1949-50 all 33 railway houses and the School House had been occupied, but by the time of this photo - two years after the school closed and a year after the Co-op shut its store on the station platform - just a dozen houses remained in occupation. The closure proposal for the Waverley Route came in August 1966 and by the following year a further third of the houses had been abandoned. The writing was on the wall for Riccarton.
Location: Riccarton Junction
Photographer: Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven)
Contact photographer: Frank Spaven Collection (Courtesy David Spaven)
Image number: 47011