The view east from the site of West Auckland station. On the right is the formation of the original Stockton and Darlington line to Shildon, via the rope worked Brusselton Inclines. The bridge abutments that can be seen used to carry the Gaunless Bridge over the river of the same name. This was one of the world's first iron railway bridges and is now an exhibit at the National Railway Museum in York. Curving left is the trackbed of the line to Bishop Auckland and it was the opening of this line, and a chord to Shildon, that allowed the Brusselton line to close in 1858. The Bishop Auckland to Barnard Castle line, and West Auckland station, closed to passengers in 1962.
Location: West Auckland
Company: Stockton and Darlington Railway
Photographer: Mark Bartlett
Contact photographer: Mark Bartlett
Image number: 63711