Class 483 (ex-London Underground 1938 stock) from Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin on the Isle of Wight arriving at Ryde St. John's Road station, on 20th September 2014. Ten sets of these old LUL units were purchased by Network South East in 1988 and introduced on the Island Line between 1989 and 1992 to replace the even older class 485 and 486 sets that had worked the remnants of the line since electrification in 1967. The section from Shanklin to Ventnor had closed the previous year, the excuse being that the former tube trains were 'not suitable' for the long tunnel under St. Boniface Down, north of Ventnor.
Location: Ryde St John^s Road
Company: Isle of Wight Railway
Photographer: David Bosher
Contact photographer: David Bosher
Image number: 72433