Summerhill Station in Cork, looking east towards Tivoli and Youghal on 5th May 2019. This station was opened in 1861 for standard Irish gauge trains from Youghal and Cove. Taken over by the Great Southern & Western Railway in 1866, the station was abandoned in 1893 when the new Glanmire Road (now Kent) station was opened linking the Great South Western main line to the Youghal line through very sharply curved platforms. Remarkably, the trackbed remains at Summerhill despite closure in 1893 and the picture was taken from a footbridge which still spans the former trackbed.
Location: Cork Summerhill
Company: Cork and Youghal Railway
Photographer: Mark Poustie
Contact photographer: Mark Poustie
Image number: 72877