Cork Capwell

Cork & Macroom Direct Railway's Capwell Station in Cork. Yet another terminus station in the city for the Irish standard gauge line opened in 1866 between Cork and Macroom. Originally the C&MDR trains used the CB&SCR Albert Quay station but the company opened its own terminus here at Capwell in 1879 and the link with the CB&SCR was severed. A link between the two systems was reinstated in 1918 and trains to Macroom again started using Albert Quay station in 1925. However, passenger services ceased in 1935 and the system was closed in 1953. The fine terminus building at Capwell survives as the offices for the principal bus depot in Cork, which lies on the station site. 5th May 2019

Location: Cork Capwell

Company: Cork and Macroom Direct Railway

Photographer: Mark Poustie

Contact photographer: Mark Poustie

Contact editor

Date: 05/05/2019

Image number: 72994