Balerno Goods Junction (1874-1963)
Opened on the Balerno Branch (Caledonian Railway).
This was the junction between the single track Balerno loop and the single track branch to Balerno Goods. Approach to the goods yard was from the east. Balerno station was just to the north of the junction, north of a road bridge.
The signal box was was at the top of the cutting in the 'V' of the junction. The original small 1874 box was replaced with a large example in 1899 when a loop opened at Balerno station.
The box closed in 1934, replaced with three ground frames. The tablet instrument was transferred to Balerno station's office.
The line was goods only from 1943. Balerno Good Junction to Ravelrig Junction closed in 1963. Balerno Goods to Balerno Junction (the whole remaining Balerno Loop) closed in 1967.
Road alignment has removed the exact location of the junction. However a realigned foot/cycle path, part of the path which runs the length of the former line from Balerno Goods to Belerno Junction, remains here.
Edinburgh Park Station [Tram]
Edinburgh Park Central [Tram]
Gyle Centre [Tram]
Other railway and industry locations
Camps Junction [CR]
Network Rail Maintenance Delivery Unit Edinburgh
Saughton West Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|