This carriage and wagon works was located south of Barassie Junction on the west side of the original route of the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway, now reduced to sidings approached from the junction. The Troon Loop (Glasgow and South Western Railway) was to the west.
The works were built by the Glasgow and South Western Railway to take over wagon and carriage repairs from the Kilmarnock Works in 1901.
After the grouping of 1923 the future of the site was regularly in doubt as part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. However, it survived.
In the Second World War Spitfires were repaired here and a runway built to allow the repaired aircraft to leave immediately.
In the 1960s the works were rebuilt and modernised by British Railways. The works took over wagon repairs from other sites such as the St Rollox Works.
Most of the site closed around 1972. A portion remained open as the Barassie PW Depot.
Prestwick International Airport
Irvine Bank Street
| Burnfoot Signal Box|
Barassie PW Depot
Arnott, Young and Co [Troon]
Ailsa Shipbuilding Yard
Troon Harbour Goods
Meadowhead Paper Mill
Shewalton Moss Signal Box
Slough of Despond
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|