This is a four was junction directly south of Barassie station.
The principal line is the former 1839 Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway (Irvine to Ayr opened in 1839) and two rebuilt portions of the Kilmarnock and Troon Railway. The portion to Troon Harbour, to the south west and approached from the north, opened in 1846. The route east to Kilmarnock, striking off to the north east and approached from the south, re-opened in 1847.
Barassie station was built in the ^V^ of the northern junction with platforms on both the main line and Kilmarnock routes.
The original course of the 1812 Kilmarnock and Troon Railway was crossed Barassie station at an angle. The line approaching from Kilmarnock had a similar alignment to the present line but crossed the Glasgow line in the north of the station before turning south, west of the station, to run to the harbour (much of Walker Avenue).
In 1892 a new Troon station opened on a loop which started from the harbour line, close to the junction, and rejoined at Lochgreen junction. For this the existing signal box was replaced in 1891.
Barassie Carriage and Wagon Works closed around 1972. The harbour branch closed around 1973.
The southern part of the junction was rebuilt in 1982. The old direct line through Troon [1st] was abandoned. The tight curvature of the approach from Barrassie junction was eased with the laying in of a new gentle curve to the west of the signal box. The older alignment was retained as a single track loop. The signal box closed. It was replaced with a temporary box in a switch room. This survived until the 1986 Ayrshire resignalling, replaced by Paisley Signalling Centre.
The northern part of the Troon [1st] route was retained to access Barassie Yard, a permanent way depot and useful loop for running round for trains which needed to reverse at the junction.
The line to Kilmarnock is single track.
Prestwick International Airport
Irvine Bank Street
| Barassie PW Depot|
Burnfoot Signal Box
Barassie Carriage and Wagon Works
Arnott, Young and Co [Troon]
Meadowhead Paper Mill
Ailsa Shipbuilding Yard
Troon Harbour Goods
Shewalton Moss Signal Box
Shewalton 5,6 Colliery
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|03/05/1969||Kilmarnock and Troon Railway|
Kilmarnock No 2 to Barassie Junction closed to passengers.