This station has four platforms - two through platforms on the route to Stranraer and two bays for traffic to the north.
Ayr station, originally the two platform Ayr [2nd] on the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway, underwent a huge reconstruction involving the change of the road layout in the area. The main part of the station was south of the original following reconstruction and Kyle Street, where it crossed the railway, was entirely removed to allow the new construction.
The station has a glazed roof, cut back in recent years, and station hotel of 1866. The Ayr Station Hotel partly closed in 2010, completely in 2012, and is in increasingly poor condition (2018).
On the west side of the station, at the north end, was a series of carriage sidings and an additional bay platform, both now the site of a car park and housing.
At the south end, south of Station Bridge, the line quadrupled and there were two additional platforms on either side.
South of the station, on the west side and approached from the south, was a goods yard. This is now Townhead EMU Sidings.
Ayr station had two signal boxes. No 1 was at the north end at the station's throat by the bridge over the River Ayr, located on the east side. No 2 was at the south end, on the west side between the sidings and main running lines. Both boxes closed in 1985.
From 1985-86 there was a temporary box here during the preparations for the Ayr line's electrification. In addition to the No 1 and No 2 boxes this also took over Belmont Level Crossing, Falkland Junction, Newton Junction [Ayr], Prestwick. The temporary box was taken over by the Paisley Signalling Centre in 1986.
The Ayr Station Hotel was railway owned until 1951. This towers over Ayr station and a good view of the station was had from the bedrooms. The hotel closed suddenly in 2012 and is decaying. Protective screens have been erected over portions of the station to protect it from falling debris.
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Prestwick International Airport
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
Heads of Ayr [1st)
| Townhead EMU Sidings|
Ayr Cattle Market Sidings
Ayr Harbour South
Ayr Shed [1st]
Newton Carpet Works
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Ayr Station Hotel
St John's Tower
Belmont Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1840||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Originally promoted as the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway it was to run from Ayr to Dalmellington and on to Castle Douglas to join the British and Irish Grand Junction Railway, which later was opened as the Portpatrick Railway.
|/ /1865||Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Line authorised, extending the Douglas Branch (Caledonian Railway) west. A Bill for a branch to Glespin is abandoned. Caledonian Railway given running powers from Muirkirk [1st] to Ayr and Troon, in return the Glasgow and South Western Railway is given running powers to Edinburgh, Leith and Granton.
|01/07/1885||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Opened from Port Eglinton Junction to Elderslie Junction. The line uses much of the former route of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal, the line runs skew across a former aqueduct bridge at Paisley Hawkhead. The canal route under the main line at Elderslie was used for a link to the Bridge of Weir Railway so that Greenock Princes Pier bound trains did not have to cross the track used by Ayr to Glasgow trains. The former Port Eglinton Basin becomes the Salkeld Street Parcels depot.
|/ /1896||Strathaven and Darvel Railway
Mid Lanark Lines (Caledonian Railway)
Mid Lanark, Spireslack and Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Lines authorised for the Caledonian Railway; Darvel to Strathaven Central, Spireslack Colliery No 1 Pit to Muirkirk (Auldhouseburn Junction), Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] and Stonehouse [Lanarkshire] to Lesmahagow [2nd] and Alton Heights Junction. The Glasgow and South Western Railway is granted running powers over these lines in exchange for the Caledonian Railway having running powers from Darvel to Troon and Kilmarnock to Ayr.
|01/12/1930||Maidens and Dunure Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Turnberry to Ayr (Alloway Junction) closed to passengers.
|10/09/1951||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Muirkirk [2nd] to Ayr (Hawkhill Junction) closed to passengers.
|07/12/1959||Maidens and Dunure Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Heads of Ayr [2nd] (Butlins Camp) to Ayr (Alloway Junction) closed to freight.
Excursion train hauled by Caledonian Railway 123 and Great North of Scotland Railway 49 from Ayr to Stranraer.
|06/04/1964||Ayr and Dalmellington Railway|
Dalmellington to Ayr (Dalrymple Junction) closed to passengers.
|14/06/1965||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)
Girvan and Portpatrick Junction Railway
Maybole and Girvan Railway|
Annbank to Mauchline re-opened to passengers (with the closure of the Port Road the trains are diverted). The number of trains between Challoch Junction, Girvan and Ayr increases after closure of the Portpatrick Railway.
|16/09/1968||Maidens and Dunure Railway (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Heads of Ayr [2nd] (Butlins Camp) to Ayr (Alloway Junction) closed to passengers.
|05/05/1975||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Ayr to Mauchline re-closed to passengers.
|29/09/1986||Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway|
Electrification and re-signaling of Paisley to Ayr complete.