The basin was the eastern extreme of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal. It opened in 1811. The Glasgow and South Western Railway owned the canal from 1869.
It was served by a line from the south which ran to West Street Junction, opened around 1840.
To the north was the Eglinton Street Goods of the Glasgow and Paisley Joint Railway (1840) and running immediately to the north of the canal, after 1870, was the City of Glasgow Union Railway. Some realignment of the canal was probably needed at West Street to accommodate both the canal and line.
The canal closed in 1881, the basin possibly closing earlier to allow railway developments. Port Eglinton Goods was developed on the site of the basin.
West Street [Subway]
Bridge Street [Subway]
South Side [GB and NDR]
South Side [CR]
Main Street Gorbals
Shields Road [Subway]
Shields Road [CGU]
Shields Road [GPJ]
| Eglinton Foundry|
Port Eglinton Junction
West Street Goods
West Street Junction [GSWR]
Salkeld Street Parcels Depot
Port Eglinton Goods
Cook Street Junction
Eglinton Street Junction
Cook Street Goods
Tradeston Gasworks No 3
Eglinton Street Shed
Cook Street Shed
Glasgow Central Power Box
Bridge Street Junction
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|/ /1791||Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal|
Proposed by Earl of Eglinton. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton Basin was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
|/ /1807||Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal|
Construction begins. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton Basin was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
|/ /1811||Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal|
Last section built into Port Eglinton Basin, Glasgow. The canal ran from Johnstone to Port Eglinton Basin. An aqueduct across the Clyde to join up with the Forth and Clyde Canal was considered, but not built. (The route between Elderslie and Port Eglinton Basin was later used by the Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)).
William Dixon (Junior) buys land from the Corporation of Glasgow for building a waggonway from the Govan Colliery at Govanhill to the Ardrossan Canal at Port Eglinton Basin.
|/ /1837||William Dixon (Junior)|
Opens the Govan Iron Works ('Dixon's Blazes'), for bar iron. It was built near the Govanhill Colliery on the south bank of the River Clyde near Glasgow and Port Eglinton Basin of the Ardrossan Canal.
|01/07/1885||Paisley Canal Line (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Opened from Port Eglinton Junction to Elderslie Junction. The line uses much of the former route of the Glasgow and Ardrossan Canal, the line runs skew across a former aqueduct bridge at Paisley Hawkhead. The canal route under the main line at Elderslie was used for a link to the Bridge of Weir Railway so that Greenock Princes Pier bound trains did not have to cross the track used by Ayr to Glasgow trains. The former Port Eglinton Basin becomes the Salkeld Street Parcels depot.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways