Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Muirkirk Branch (Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway).
This was a two platform station, dating from 1848, opened by the Glasgow and South Western Railway. It was originally a terminus, although the line continued east through the station to the Muirkirk Ironworks, just to the north. The line to the works was initially double, later reduced to single. Another branch continued east, through what would later be the second station, and then south to limekilns.
A goods station and locomotive shed were to the south, both approached from the west.
The Caledonian Railway met the G&SWR beyond the east end of the station in 1875. The station was used by both companies.
The station was replaced in 1896 by Muirkirk [2nd] just to the east. The new station was also on the G&SWR line and, once again, both companies used the new station. Closure coincided with the completion of the Mid Lanark, Spireslack and Muirkirk Branch (Caledonian Railway). The original goods yard and Muirkirk Shed remained open.
A building from this station remains today. This building was built some time after the opening of the original terminus, perhaps when the line west was doubled. This was fitted with a canopy when the station was open.
The site is now a racetrack, the Kames Motorsport Complex, East Ayrshire Car Club .
| Kaimes Branch Junction|
Muirkirk No 1 Signal Box [GSW]
Muirkirk No 2 Signal Box [GSW]
Muirkirk Iron Works
Muirkirk GSW and CR Junction
Muirkirk Tar Works
Bankend Pit (Limestone)
Auldhouseburn Colliery Signal Box
Kaimes Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|