This was the eastern junction of a triangle of junctions. The northern junction is Newton Junction [Ayr] and southern Hawkhill Junction. It was a double track junction.
The box opened with the junction in 1870. It was located on the north side of the junction. this was replaced by a box in the 'V' of the junction.
The curve to Hawkhill Junction closed to passengers (only) in 1951. The original south to east curve was closed in 1965, replaced by a new single track alignment slightly to the north (the former shed coaling road). This curve remained open until 1975, used as the route for Stranraer trains to the south.
The box closed in 1985 and the line from Newton Junction [Ayr] to Annbank singled. The line closed east of Annbank between 1983 and 1988.
Ayr Shed [1st]
Prestwick International Airport
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
| Newton Carpet Works|
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Ayr Tram Depot [Trams]
Ayr Harbour Junction
Scottish Agricultural Industries Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|14/06/1965||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Blackhouse Junction to Hawkhill Junction re-opened for passengers. The re-opened curve was not on the original double track alignment but closer to Ayr MPD.
|05/05/1975||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Blackhouse Junction to Hawkhill Junction closed to all traffic.