This was the 1870 junction between the main line from Glasgow and the line from Mauchline, giving both lines access to Ayr. It was a double track curve. The signal box, opened with the junction, was on the east side of the junction, just north of Hawkhill Avenue. The box was replaced with a larger box on a similar site.
The curve to the east closed to passengers (only) in 1951. In 1965 it re-opened an a new alignment, a single track curve closer to Ayr MPD.
The box burned down in 1970 and was replaced with a temporary (for 6 years!) box.
This curve closed in 1975. The box closed in 1976.
Prestwick International Airport
Auchincruive Colliery Platform
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Heads of Ayr [1st)
| Hawkhill LC|
Newton Carpet Works
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Ayr Shed [1st]
Ayr Harbour Junction
Scottish Agricultural Industries Works
Ayr Tram Depot [Trams]
Ayr Harbour South
St John^s Tower
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|10/09/1951||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Muirkirk [2nd] to Ayr (Hawkhill Junction) closed to passengers.
|14/06/1965||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Blackhouse Junction to Hawkhill Junction re-opened for passengers. The re-opened curve was not on the original double track alignment but closer to Ayr MPD.
|05/05/1975||Ayr to Mauchline Branch (Glasgow and South Western Railway)|
Blackhouse Junction to Hawkhill Junction closed to all traffic.