Ayr Townhead (1856-1857)
Ayr [2nd] (1857-1886)
Opened on the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This station was immediately south of the Ayr Viaduct over the River Ayr and north of the Kyle Street bridge. This was a two platform station on the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway.
Known as Ayr Townhead, it replaced Ayr [1st] to become Ayr [2nd]. The original terminus was on the north bank of the River Ayr and at a site unsuitable for continuing the line south. This newer station was built on the Dalmellington line which skirted round the east side of the town.
This station was entirely rebuilt in 1886 becoming just the northern portion of the platforms at today's Ayr station. As part of the rebuild the Kyle Street bridge was removed.
Ayr Shed [1st]
Maybole Junction [Station]
Heads of Ayr [2nd]
Prestwick International Airport
Heads of Ayr [1st)
Other railway and industry locations
Townhead EMU Sidings
Ayr Cattle Market Sidings
Ayr Harbour South
Newton Carpet Works
Newton Junction [Ayr]
Ayr Station Hotel
St John^s Tower
Belmont Level Crossing
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|