Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.Opened on the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway.
This was the first station in Bathgate. It appeared in working timetables as Bathgate E&G as that company operated the independent Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway.
This terminus had a single platform for passengers, with a building at the west end, and a goods yard, with goods shed, to the south. The line approached from the east.
With the extension of the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway from Longridge to Bathgate the terminus was left on a short branch. Passenger trains from that line would need to reverse to reach the terminus.
The station closed in 1870 when replaced by Bathgate Upper. The site remained in use as a goods yard, even after closure to passengers in 1956. In 1981 the line west to Airdrie was closed making. A new station, Bathgate [3rd] opened on more or less the same site in 1986.
| Bathgate West Junction [1st]|
Balbardie Steel Works
Bathgate Central Junction
Bathgate Brass Foundry
West Lothian Steel Rolling Mill and Shovel Works
Hopetoun Steel Works
Bathgate West LMD
Balbardie Colliery Pit No 1
Balbardie Colliery Pit No 2
Bathgate East LMD
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Vanished Railways of West Lothian