This line was completely closed in the 1970s with a short section of its E&G built extension remaining in use between Bathgate and Polkemmet Junction. After closure of the Airdrie-Bathgate line all sections fell out of use.
With the re-opening of the Airdrie-Bathgate line a short portion between Bathgate Upper and Polkemmet Junction has been re-opened.
The line ran from Morningside to Bathgate with branches to Carluke, Addiewell and Shotts.
Plans to extend to Wilsontown, of the title, were dropped, perhaps due to the failure of the iron works there in 1842, while the line was being built. It terminated at Longridge, being extended to Bathgate by the Longridge to Bathgate (Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway) in 1850.
There were two main purposes of this line
- to deliver coal to the Coltness Ironworks
- to connect to the railway network to deliver coal to other locations
|/ /1841||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Act receives Royal assent. The Coltness Iron Works owners, the Houldsworths, were major shareholders.
|05/06/1845||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Opened from Morningside [1st] to Longridge [1st]. New passenger stations at; Davies Dykes, Blackhall, Headlesscross, Crofthead [NB], Longridge [1st].
|/ /1846||Shotts Iron Works|
Works connected to the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway. Two more furnaces, a brickworks, briquetting plant and coke works were subsequently built.
|16/05/1846||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
A passenger coach starts running from Longridge [1st] to Edinburgh to complete a Glasgow to Edinburgh route.
|/03/1848||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Passenger station at Davies Dykes closed.
|/ /1849||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness RailwayEdinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway absorbed by Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
|/ /1849||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Extended from Longridge [2nd] to Bathgate. This line may have reached Bathgate before the Edinburgh and Bathgate Railway, which formed a connection with it.
|/ /1849||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Closed to passengers.
|/ /1850||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Re-opened to passengers.
|/02/1851||Bathgate Chemical Works|
Opened. There was access from the nearby Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway Bathgate branch.
|/ /1852||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway|
Act authorises merger. The Act give other companies permission to use main line and Shotts and Bathgate branches.
|/12/1852||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Closed to passengers. Blackhall, Headlesscross, Crofthead and Longridge [2nd] closed.
|/ /1861||Cleland to Morningside Line (Caledonian Railway)|
An extension of the Cleland branch to Morningside [CR] is promoted. The branch will serve numerous mines and the Coltness Iron Works, avoiding the Morningside Incline of the existing route to Morningside [1st]. It also provides possible access to Edinburgh over the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway owned Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway. The Morningside [CR] extension of the Cleland branch predates its extension east through Shotts to Midcalder.
|01/10/1864||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Line extended to Bathgate and re-opened to passengers. Blackhall re-opened and Crofthead [NB] re-opened as Fauldhouse and Crofthead. The Longridge to Bathgate section was first opened to passengers with new stations at Longridge [2nd], Bents and Whitburn.
|01/11/1893||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Blackhall station (at Blackhall Junction for Shotts Goods) closed.
|01/09/1906||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Crofthead [NB] renamed Fauldhouse and Crofthead.
|/ /1919||Kingshill Colliery No 1|
Opened by the Coltness Iron Works. Connected to the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway. The town of Allantown is developed by the company and local council for miners.
|01/05/1930||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Morningside to Bathgate (Polkemmet Junction) closed to passengers. Morningside [NBR], Fauldhouse and Crofthead (also known as Fauldhouse South), Bents and Whitburn closed.
|04/04/1949||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Carluke to Castlehill Branch Junction closed. A section between Castlehill Branch Junction and a nearby Colliery remained open until 1955. Part of this line was built on the former course of a waggonway running from Castlehill Iron Works (Carluke).
|06/03/1950||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Blackhall Junction to Shotts Goods closed.
|24/04/1963||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Addiewell Goods [NB] to Whitburn closed.
|17/06/1963||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Shotts East to Westcraigs Junction closed.
|10/08/1964||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Bathgate to Fauldhouse closed. (This date is probably wrong, should be 1966).
|02/05/1966||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Fauldhouse and Crofthead to Whitrigg Colliery closed to freight.
|20/01/1969||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Whitrigg Colliery to Polkemmet Junction closed to freight.
|15/07/1974||Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway|
Morningside to Castlehill Branch Junction (Kingshill Colliery No 1 and Kingshill Colliery No 3) closed to freight.
This line is divided into a number of portions.
The Wishaw and Coltness Railway reached Morningside around 1844 from Carluke [1st] (reached 1842) - a short distance of around 2/3 of a mile. The extension was probably driven to reach the under construction Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway rather than a desire to reach Morningside itself. It did service the Chapel Colliery in passing.
This station was on the east side of Morningside Road, just south of the village of Morningside. It opened at the possible site of Morningside [1st]. A goods station existed here, approached from the east, before opening. The Ordnance Survey Name Book described it thus
This name applies to a small office adjoining the Wilsontown and Morningside Railway wholly for mineral ...
This station was at Blackhall Junction, the junction between the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway of 1845 and the 1859 branch to the north of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway to the Shotts Loops, serving the Shotts Iron Works. Named for Blackhall Farm to the west. Access to the branch was from west.
This was the junction between the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway of 1845 and the 1859 branch to the north of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway to the Shotts Loops, serving the Shotts Iron Works. Access to the branch was from west. Named for Blackhall Farm to the west.
This halt was north of Headlesscross Farm. The Railway Clearing House Maps shows 'Headlesscross (Gray and Paul's)'. Gray and Paul owned mines at Climpy and Wilsontown and Climpy Road ran south east to Climpy and Wilsontown, which suggests this was a loading location for coal worked to the south.
This was a single platform station with the platform on the north side of a single track line and goods yard to the north, approached from the west. There was a stone building, extended in timber to have a canopy and waiting room, on the brick built platform and a water tank at the west end.
This was the original eastern terminus of the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
This branch ran from just east of Morningside [NB] station to the iron works. This branch was one of the principal reasons why the line was built. Built by the NBR in 1890.
This junction was to the north of the Coltness Iron Works. Both the Caledonian Railway and the North British Railway had a connection to the Coltness Iron Works Railway here and this box controlled the junction between the two railway companies. The signal box was provided by the NB.
This coal mine was opened just south east of Allanton by the Coltness Iron Company in 1919, producing coking and other coals. The surface buildings included a washery.
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Lanarkshire's Lost Railways
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
|The Monkland & Kirkintilloch and associated railways|
Vanished Railways of West Lothian