Opened on the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway.
This station was at Blackhall Junction, the junction between the Wilsontown, Morningside and Coltness Railway of 1845 and the 1859 branch to the north of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway to the Shotts Loops, serving the Shotts Iron Works. Named for Blackhall Farm to the west. Access to the branch was from west.
The station had a single platform. A building is shown in the 1860 OS map south of the line. Possibly chiefly for railway use, no access road is shown. For the layout see Blackhall Junction.
The Ordnance Survey Name Book of around 1860 (before any passenger use) describes the station thus
A station for mineral and goods traffic on the Wilsonton and Morningside branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.
The station closed in 1893 during remodelling of the junction and opening of a signal box.
The box closed in 1950 with abandonment of the branch.
Nothing remains, the area was opencast mined in the 1980s and 90s.
Fauldhouse and Crofthead
Other railway and industry locations
Shotts Iron Works
Knowton Signal Box
Shotts Iron Works Reversing Spur
Coal and Ironstone Pit
Hawkwoodburn Signal Box
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Lanarkshire's Lost Railways
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
|The Monkland & Kirkintilloch and associated railways|
Vanished Railways of West Lothian