This summit has up and down loops and engineers sidings. The Caledonian Railway considered the height to be 1,015 ft, since revised to 1,016 ft.
There was a signal box ('Summit') here on the east side, replacing an older box in 1899. There were water columns for locomotives.
The signal box closed in 1973, replaced by the Motherwell Signalling Centre, in the run up to electrification.
Prior to electrification the approach to the summit from north and south was challenging.
Harthope Viaduct is to the south and the former station at Elvanfoot to the north.
| Harthope Signal Box|
Beattock Bank Ballast Quarry
Elvan Water Viaduct
Greskine Signal Box
Crawford Viaduct [Camps Reservoir Railway]
Risping Cleuch Viaduct
Wandel Mill Signal Box
Wanlockhead Beam Engine
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
An Illustrated History of Carlisle's Railways
Caledonian Dunalastairs and Associated Classes (Locomotive Monograph)
Caledonian in LMS Days (Railways in Retrospect)
Caledonian Railway Carriages
Caledonian Railway Livery: The True Line Elegance and Style
Caledonian Railway Wagons & Non-Passenger Coaching Stock
Caledonian Routes 3: Stirling to Crianlarich - DVD - Oakwood Press
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)
Callander & Oban Railway Through Time
Callander and Oban Railway (Library of Railway History)
Signalling the Caledonian Railway
The Caledonian Railway 'jumbos' the 18in. X 26in. 0-6-0s
The Caledonian, Scotland's Imperial Railway: A History
The Vanished Railways of Old Western Dunbartonshire (Britains Railways/Old Photos)
Through Scotland with the Caledonian Railway
Vanished Railways of West Lothian