This junction was north west of Paisley and was the location where the single track Linwood Goods [CR] branch joined the Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway. It had a connection into the Clippens Oil Works at Linwood.
The junction was close to Blackstone Mains farm, just to the east, and north of a bridge over the Black Cart Water. The signal box was on the east side by the junction. (Interestingly the 1895 labels a second small building S.B. in the 'V' of the junction.)
There were two looped sidings on the west side of the main line at the junction, the branch divided to run onto the main line and the two loops. Exit to the south was possible as there was a crossover.
The Clippens Oil Works closed in the 1890s but the line remained in use for the Blackstone Works, Clippens Goods [CR] , Linwood Brick Works and Sun foundry (at Clippens Siding).
The signal box and branch closed in 1966.
Paisley St James
Paisley Gilmour Street
Paisley Hamilton Street
| Blackstone Works|
Walkinshaw No 2 Mine
Boghead Ironstone Pit
Walkinshaw Brick Works
Inkerman Oil Works
Walkinshaw Branch Junction
Middleton Siding [Linwood]
Douglas Pit (No 3 Ironstone)
Walkinshaw South Junction
Inkerman Brick Works
Candren Pit (Ironstone) Douglas Pit No 1 (Ironstone)
Georgetown Filling Factory
Abercorn Pit No 2 (Ironstone)
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
Caley to the Coast: Rothesay by Wemyss Bay (Oakwood Library of Railway History)