Bo'ness Junction [1st]

Location type

Junction

Names and dates

Bo'ness High Junction (1851-1933)
Bo'ness Junction [1st] (1933-1979)

Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.

Opened on the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway.
Opened on the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway.

Description

This junction gave the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway access to the Bo'ness branch (Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway). Approach was from the west. Both lines were doubled with the branch dropping to single track after Bo'ness Low Junction. This layout dated from 1893 when a signal box (^Manuel High Level^) opened here. The original 1851 connection was not direct but by reversal, with a very similar layout to today^s reversing spur and trailing connection to the E&G.

The first signal box was on the north side of the line on the east side of the road bridge directly west of the junction.

In 1933, when the Causewayend Junction to Bo'ness Low Junction section formally closed, the signal box was replaced. The new box was in the ^V^ of the junction between the E&G and the Bo^ness branch. This box also controlled the approach from Almond Junction (the far end of the Slamannan Junction Railway). It also replaced the box at Manuel High Level. The new box was called ^Bo^ness Junction^.

The stub of the Almond line, to Manuel Brick Factory, closed in 1972. The Bo^ness branch closed in 1979 and the box closed, control of the E&G here passing to the box at Polmont.

Note that through running from Bo^ness to the junction and on to Causewayend was not possible, the two junctions were out of alignment with the Bo^ness connection being west of the Causewayend connection.

Tags

Junction

Aliases

Boness High Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
04/08/2020

Books


A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)

An Illustrated History of Edinburgh's Railways

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

An Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways

Central Glasgow 1893: Lanarkshire Sheet 6.10a (Old Ordnance Survey Maps of Lanarkshire)

Edinburgh ( Western New Town) 1877: Edinburgh Large Scale Sheet 34 (Old Ordnance Survey Maps - Yard to the Mile)

Edinburgh (Rail Centres)

Edinburgh (Rail Centres)
Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway Guidebook (Auld Kirk Museum Publications)
Edinburgh To Inverkeithing.: including The Port Edgar, North Queensferry And Rosyth Dockyard Branches. (Scottish Main Lines.)

Edinburgh Waverley

Edinburgh Waverley Station Through Time
Edinburgh's Transport: The Early Years v. 1
Glasgow Stations

Glasgow's Last Days of Steam

Haymarket Motive Power Depot Edinburgh: A History of the Depot, Its Work and Locomotives, 1842-2010

Landranger (66) Edinburgh, Penicuik & North Berwick (OS Landranger Map)

Last Trains: Edinburgh and South East Scotland v. 1

Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen

Memories of Steam from Glasgow to Aberdeen

On Either Side, 1939: The Train between London King's Cross & Edinburgh Waverley, Fort William, Inverness & Aberdeen (Old House)

Rails Around Glasgow

The Next Stop: Inverness to Edinburgh, station by station

This Magnificent Line (the story of the Edinburgh-Glasgow Railway

Vanished Railways of West Lothian