This was the junction between two arms of the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway. The line from the Bo'ness [1st] terminus ran south and divided here with a curve to the west going to meet the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at Bo'ness High Junction and another route continuing under the E&G to Causewayend Junction. In its original state, before Manuel Low opened, both arms were single track.
The latter line provided an outlet for Monklands products to the River Forth. A signal box ^Manuel Low Level^ opened here to control the junction between the two arms of the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway. The box was replaced in 1893 with ^Bo^ness Low Junction^. This was located in the ^V^ of the junction.
The curve to Bo'ness High Junction was double track. Going north from the box to Bo'ness the line dropped to a single track. Going south to Manuel Low Level it was initially double track dropping to a single line for the route south with a bay platform loop on its west side.
The direct route to Causewayend Junction fell out of use around 1930 and was formally closed in 1933 and Bo^ness Low Junction and its box were closed. The remaining curve to Bo'ness High Junction (renamed Bo'ness Junction [1st]) was reduced to a single track.
Manuel Low Level
Manuel High Level
Causewayend [MR] [2nd]
Causewayend [MR] [1st]
| Bo^ness Junction|
Manuel Bo^ness Junction Shed
Bo^ness Junction [1st]
Manuel Brick Works
Almond Iron Works
Birkhill Fireclay Mine
Causewayend Engine House
Muiravonside Country Park
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/05/1933||Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway|
Manuel Low Level to Bo'ness Low Junction (excluded) closed to passengers. Manuel Low Level closed.