Bo^ness Low Junction (1851-1933)
Opened on the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway.
This was the junction between two arms of the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway. The line from the Bo'ness [1st] terminus ran south and divided here with a curve to the west going to meet the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway at Bo'ness High Junction and another route continuing under the E&G to Causewayend Junction. In its original state, before Manuel Low opened, both arms were single track.
The latter line provided an outlet for Monklands products to the River Forth. A signal box 'Manuel Low Level' opened here to control the junction between the two arms of the Slamannan and Borrowstounness Railway. The box was replaced in 1893 with 'Bo'ness Low Junction'. This was located in the 'V' of the junction.
The curve to Bo'ness High Junction was double track. Going north from the box to Bo'ness the line dropped to a single track. Going south to Manuel Low Level it was initially double track dropping to a single line for the route south with a bay platform loop on its west side.
The direct route to Causewayend Junction fell out of use around 1930 and was formally closed in 1933 and Bo'ness Low Junction and its box were closed. The remaining curve to Manuel High Junction was reduced to a single track.
Manuel Low Level
Manuel High Level
Causewayend [MR] [2nd]
Causewayend [MR] [1st]
Other railway and industry locations
Bo^ness Low Junction
Manuel Bo^ness Junction Shed
Whitecross Brick Factory
Birkhill Fireclay Mine
Causewayend Engine House
River Avon Aquaduct
Muiravonside Country Park
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|