Broughton [1st] (1860-1864)
Opened on the Symington, Biggar and Broughton Railway.
Note: text in square brackets is added for clarity and was not part of the location's name.
This was a single platform station with a small brick building - not much was spent on the station due to the planned extension of the line shortly afterwards. Station cottages were built to the east on the main road. The station was a little to the south of Broughton itself.
It was replaced by Broughton [2nd] station immediately to the south, initially another single platform station.
After replacement the original station became the goods yard. It consisted of two sidings of differing lengths serving a loading bank with a crane. A goods shed was added.
A slaughter house opened to the north of the station, connected to a platform on the north side of the goods yard, close to where the extension line joined the original line. This slaugher house was to keep the line open after closure of the line to passengers in 1950 and closure to the east in 1954. A loop was retained in the goods yard and a single platform of the second station retained its line.
The line closed completely in 1966.
Little remains of the station. Railway cottages remain nearby.
The former Broughton slaughter house site is now Broughton Ales, opened in 1979.
Other railway and industry locations
Nether Oliver Siding
Biggar Gas Works Museum
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|