This signal box was on the portion of line between Barassie Junction and Templehill Junction on the route opened re-opened in 1846 as a standard gauge line replacing the old 1812 Kilmarnock and Troon Railway approach to Troon Harbour Goods.
The box was on the west side of the line at the south end of loops, on either side, which started at Barassie Junction. Both loops had weighing machines.
The box closed in 1932 and the approach to the harbour in 1973.
Today the trackbed is out of use but directly alongside to the east the Troon loop of 1892 remains open. A footbridge cfosses over the disused trackbed and open line directly to the north of the box site.
Prestwick International Airport
Irvine Bank Street
| Barassie Workshops|
Barassie PW Depot
Ailsa Shipbuilding Yard
Troon Harbour Goods
Meadowhead Paper Mill
Shewalton Moss Signal Box
Slough of Despond
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Scotland - The Lowlands and the Borders v. 6 (Regional railway history series)
Britains Historic Railway Buildings: A Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
Britain's Historic Railway Buildings: An Oxford Gazetteer of Structures and Sites
National Series of Waterway, Tramway and Railway Atlases: Ayrshire v. 1h
Origins of the Scottish Railway System 1722-1844
The Oxford Companion to British Railway History: From 1603 to the 1990s
THE RAILWAY HERITAGE OF BRITAIN: 150 YEARS OF RAILWAY ARCHITECTURE AND ENGINEERING.