This was a two platform station with a goods yard approached by a very long siding from the west to the north of it. This same goods branch served the Union Tube Works. The main station building was on the westbound platform. The line was on a raised embankment.
The Victoria Iron and Steel Works was to open to the west, north side of the line and Calder Hot Roll Tube Works to the south of the line.
The line was singled before closure with the eastbound line being lifted first. The single track served the Calder works and, further east, the Imperial Tube Works until around 1997, the works closing in 2002. Most works in the area are now closed and the former railway is now a foot and cycle path. Portions of the platforms remain.
In this area the 'Dixon's Cut' of the Monkland Canal ran south from the Sheepford Locks to serve the Calder Iron Works. Throughout the 1800s railways were to steadily replace canal branches in the area.
The Sheepford Viaduct (or Calder Viaduct) is a little to the east.
Calder Iron Works [Station]
Coatbridge Central [NB]
| Union Tube Works|
Clyde Yard [Sheepford Goods]
Clyde Tube Works
Sheepford Boiler Works
Rochsolloch Brick Works
Calder Tube Works
Calder Iron Works Signal Box [NBR]
Sheepford Mineral Depot
Calder Iron Works
Crown Iron Works
|Location names in dark blue are on the same original line.|
|01/06/1886||Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway)|
Whifflet Upper to Airdrie [CR] opened for passengers. Stations were Whifflet Upper, Calder and Airdrie [CR]. Whifflet Lower opened on Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway.