Calderbank Steel Works Junction

Location type

Junction

Name and dates

Calderbank Steel Works Junction (1887-1941)

Opened on the Airdrie Branch (Caledonian Railway).

Description

This junction was just west of Calderbank station. Here a single track line left the double track main line which then passed under the main line just to the east of the station and approached the Calderbank Steel Works from the north, meeting the works own line.

The works was also served by the Calderbank Iron Works Branch (Monkland Railways) which opened in 1855.

The junction was controlled by 'Calderbank Iron Works Junction' signal box which opened with the line and closed in 1939. The box was located on the south side of the junction.

These lines fell out of use around 1941, the works itself having closed in 1930.

Tags

Junction

External links

NLS Collection OS map of 1892-1914
NLS Collection OS map of 1944-67
NLS Map
NLS Map